Estate Agents complain of unfair profiling

Estate Agents have today delivered a stinging attack on the populace because of perceptions that they might be "not acting in their clients best interests". Speaking from his Bijou double-fronted Georgian effect residence with an attractive South-facing prospect, Ron Snead, Chairman of the BAEA said, "We estate agents are fed up of being scapegoated. Recent slurs, such as "MPs are worse than Estate Agents" is a back-handed way of consigning us to the dustbin of egregiousness".

At a recent meeting of the Association, Mr Snead said:

Whenever I fly these days, people ask me what I do. I tell them. It makes for an uncomfortable flight and on more than one occasion the passengers have mutinied and asked to be taken off. Many have objected to my wearing the trademark Tattersalls shirt, Masonic tie, Tweed jacket and heavy cord Trousers and said such offensive things as "why don't you wear what normal people wear?"

Ron Snead
Meanwhile, Constabularies up and down the country have been alerting shoe shops to inform them if anybody comes into the shop asking for "good quality brown brogues".
Mr Snead points out that the majority of Estate Agents are honest and hardworking and that the actions of a few unscupulous members should not be used to target an entire profession. In an attempt to appear cool and with it, Mr Snead also added (in an oblique reference to the hit song of the popular entertainer Shakira and the now defunct Home Information Packs), "The HIPs don't Lie".

Lord Mandelson was interviewed by this blog on the issue and said:
It is quite wrong to single out a community for scrutiny, even if you are buying a property and are worried that you might have problems. Not all houses are bought and sold by Estate Agents, but I know in my own experience that, when I was filling out my Mortgage application they were more than helpful.

11 comments:

Jim Baxter said...

Deceptively specious.

Mind you, on the apparently continuing subject of 'profiling', it is clear from recent events that our law-enforcement agencies have shown lack of due ardour. Once again a 'loner' who 'kept himself to himself' has been involved in a murder spree.

All people who 'keep themselves to themselves' should be placed on a national register forthwith on the basis that it is time bring 'keeping themselves to themselves profiling' out of the closet. WW, I know, will agree: this proposal is entirely of a piece with his previous post.

Richard said...

You must have some strange estate agents round your way. The dress code you describe is what the posh farmers wear round here. The estate agent is identified by his cheap suit and loud tie with a Windsor knot.

But, as you say, unfair to tar the whole 'profession' for the sake of a few bad apples, if that isn't a mixed metaphor too far. I still think there is a strong case for profiling on the basis of Man At Top Shop suits, though.

Wrinkled Weasel said...

Jim. As you know, people who "keep themselves to themselves" are legitimate targets. I also spent years hanging around primary school gates watching the children come out and I regularly ignore the BOGOF offers in supermarkets. Nevermind that I drive a Saab and don't have a TV.

In my old county, Richard, Estate Agents dress correctly. Indeed, My sister and her partner are estate agents. I hope they see the funny side of this or I am toast.

Brian said...

I had the pleasure to work with a well-known international firm of double-barrelled estate agents. These were estate agents in the proper sense of the term - mainly managing agents of country estates and farmland. Most were at least MRICS. They wore tweed and other practical wear for the country and carried wind up cloth measuring tapes with leather sides and brass fittings. Completely different to the urban house floggers who have misappropriated the name of the noble profession. It's like Downton Abbey compared to Hustle.

Richard said...

I have experience of Lincolnshire estate agents, and it wasn't a pleasant one. I hope that wasn't your sister I told to ...

Wrinkled Weasel said...

Oh, it was you.

Richard said...

Sorry, yes it was. I had a cold at the time.

Unknown said...

I am the aforementioned sister and no, my dear brother, I am not offended (unconditional love and all that)

Richard said...

*warm glow*

Wrinkled Weasel said...

I am very lucky.

Richard said...

You had to say that.